Image

I transformed an engineering drawing into a physical product

3D Printers Mechanical drawingFusion 360

Over the past two days, I have been working in Fusion 360 to take an engineering drawing and model it into a 3D object to be exported to a 3D Printer. I did not make the engineering drawing, my college teacher had drawn this out. Using my knowledge of the engineering process I embarked on making each component in Fusion 360.

After a couple of hours, I was making good progress on turning the drawing into components on Fusion 360. I learnt how to use the loft, thread and partial thread functions and this allowed me to succesfully complete the manufacture of the mallet.

Image placeholder

As you can tell, from the design history at the bottom of the image, I was using lots of different functions and was learning new ways of modelling. Being able to solve these problems using a simple search really helped me out and continuing to use these allowed me to explore deeper into what tools I could use. At first, I 3D Printed all of the components without the thread, I assumed the best way of manufacturing the mallet was to add the thread manually, at a post-processing stage, using a tap and die. However, this proved difficult when the threads I was cutting were not straight, so each surface would not sit flush with the next. (Like in the image below)

Image placeholder

How could I fix this problem? Using inspiration from this video, I designed my own guide for the die so that the thread would hopefully cut straight. A very simple design which I was able to 3D Print in 17 minutes, I also drilled two holes into the die tool so that I could attach the guide.

Image placeholder
Image placeholder

However, using the guide didn't particularly help so I decided to re-print all the parts but with the thread, so that the printer would ensure the thread was straight and square to the components. Then I could go over the print using a tap and die so that the thread would become more distinct and able to work as a mechanical part.

Image placeholder
Image placeholder
Image placeholder
Image placeholder

Once I had gone over each component with a tap and die, respectfully, I was able to piece them together really easily. I was left with a beautifully printed, high quality mallet made from PLA.

Image placeholder

Copyright © All Rights Reserved | This template is made with by Colorlib